Back pain is a big deal. In fact, it is such a big deal that it costs Americans at least $90 billion a year in medical expenses and has affected an estimated 59 million Americans in just the past three months! Low back pain is also one of the most frequent reasons for employees to miss work days- not good for productivity. Below are six simple yet effective ways to improve and, more importantly, prevent low back pain.
- Get regular chiropractic adjustments. Chiropractic is proven to effectively treat back pain. Manual based therapies such as chiropractic adjustments help to restore function and structure without the risk of complications from surgery or drugs.
- Increase core strength. Your core plays an important role in back pain and strength. A strong core will reduce the amount of strain on your lower back. Pilates, yoga, weight lifting and bodyweight exercises are great ways to increase your core strength. Simple exercises such as planks can significantly increase core strength and help prevent low back weakness and pain.
- Don’t become dependent on a back brace. Your doctor of chiropractic may prescribe a back brace for lower back pain to help temporarily relieve some acute symptoms. But it is critical you avoid depending on your back brace entirely. Overuse can cause your core muscles to weaken, putting your back at increased risk for injury and strain. Your main focus should be in on finding the root of the problem and strengthening your core muscles.
- Practice excellent posture. Good posture helps to maintain proper alignment in the spine, reduces stress on ligaments and prevents muscle strain among other benefits. Ask your chiropractor for tips on how to improve your posture, make sure your work and home spaces are ergonomic and keep your spine and low back pain-free.
- Improve your flexibility. Flexibility can help release tension and stress in your back and allow it more flexibility with daily tasks. If you have any questions about proper stretching or foam rolling techniques be sure to ask your chiropractor for tips and suggestions.
- Check your mattress, pillow and sleeping position. These three things can have a detrimental effect on your spine and your level of low back pain.
For any questions or further information on how to best prevent and treat your low back pain do not hesitate to contact our Mount Pleasant Chiropractic office at 843-416-8012.